Casting all your care upon him; for he cares for you.
– 1 Peter 5:7
It’s Easter week and you know that you’re “supposed” to be rejoicing over Christ’s sacrifice on the cross and His miraculous resurrection. You’re “supposed” to feel all the emotions of Easter such as joy, peace, and happiness. But, if you were to be really honest, it feels like something is missing. You feel far from God, and Easter feels more like a ritual than a reason to celebrate.
And so, the glorious joy of Easter (that everyone around you seems to have) becomes more of a reminder of what you are really lacking this year. Instead, this year, Easter seems to simply remind you of this scary truth: You feel far from God and you have no idea what to do about it. Make no mistake, feeling far from God is not a pleasant place to be, especially if you’ve been close to God before and known the glory of His wonderful presence.
5 Steps to Take When You Feel Far from God
1. Authentically share with God all that you’re feeling, including your doubts and fears. Pray aloud or do whatever it takes to confess all to Him so that He can help you through. There’s no need to be formal or fancy when talking to God. Just be real.
2. Believe the truth that He is not far off, regardless of what your emotions tell you.
3. Ask Him to reveal anything in your life that may be separating you from Him so that nothing can hinder your connection with God. If He reveals things to you that need to change, be quick to repent and to change patterns in your life so that you can find healing and restoration.
4. Ask a trusted Christian friend or two to pray for you through this time.
5. Keep seeking, keep believing, and watch His promises still come true.